The following fact sheets and other clinical information may assist health professionals in the treatment of alcohol and other drug related presentations in a general practice setting
Factsheets for GP’s
Other clinical information and resources:
- Alcohol withdrawal – general (includes link to CIWAar Observation schedule)
- Alcohol withdrawal – inpatient (includes link to CIWAar Observation schedule and SA Health acute hospital guideline)
- Alcohol withdrawal – outpatient (includes link to CIWAar Observation schedule)
- Next Steps Self Help Guide - drinking diary for clients
- Alcohol dependence medicines (including information on naltrexone, acamprosate and disulfiram as well as patient information sheets)
- AUDIT – screening tool for assessing risk associated with alcohol use. Useful for brief interventions or as a first step towards addressing patients alcohol issues.
- Benzodiazepine withdrawal management (including link to benzodiazepine dose equivalent chart, link to CIWA-b Withdrawal Observation Chart)
- Opioid withdrawal management includes:
- Inpatient management of people on methadone or Suboxone for opioid dependence admitted to hospital plus COWS (Clinical Opioid Withdrawal Scale)
- Inpatient management of people withdrawing from unsanctioned (illicit or prescribed) plus COWS (Clinical Opioid Withdrawal Scale)
- Outpatient opioid withdrawal management
- Commencing patients on Suboxone for opioid dependence (PDF 199KB)
- Prescribing medications for opioid dependence - Training for GPs
- Drugs of Dependence Unit opioid dependence treatment authority application form (PDF 2.2MB)
- Opioids in management of chronic, non-cancer pain (Royal Australian College of General Practitioners 2013)
DASSA referral information:
Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) 1300 13 1340
A confidential telephone counselling, information and referral service.
(Available 8.30am-10pm, 7 days for SA callers only).